It’s summertime but it doesn’t feel the same in the midst of COVID-19. I was looking forward to going to the beach and amusement parks with friends, etc., but we have all been forced to come up with unique ways to entertain ourselves. For me, music has always been my go-to for entertainment and it has nourished me throughout this entire quarantine. I can assure you that having a rocking playlist(s) that you can jam to during the whole summer season will definitely make your quarantine experience more bearable.
1. Choosing the right songs/artists when creating a playlist from scratch can seem quite daunting, but it’s not as complicated as you may anticipate. When I go about making a playlist, I first think about what artists and songs I truly enjoy. For me, I enjoy eccentric artists like H.E.R, Solange, and Alicia Keys to empowering songs by Queen B, Megan Thee Stallion, Ciara, and so many more. Once you start thinking about the music you enjoy, you’ll start to build an eclectic mix of styles and moods in your playlist. No matter what you may believe, everyone has a diverse array of songs/artists they could listen to all day that will make your playlist uniquely yours.
2. Setting the Mood- Over the years, I have built a variety of playlists that satisfy my different moods from a Feel-Good Music Playlist to a Motivation Playlist. When you have your favorite artists and songs in my mind, you could start thinking about how each song makes you feel. Does a certain up-beat song make you want to get up and dance or does another song give you the feeling of curling up with your favorite book? I think reflecting on which mood I want my playlists to exude makes it easier to organize my songs and sustains my interests in the different selections. While I enjoy creating multiple playlists, you certainly don’t have to. You can always make a general playlist that you think would fit with any mood.
3. Keep It Flowing! Having a good flow from one song to the next is also very important. This will keep your playlist interesting but also cohesive. You don’t have to be a professional DJ to create a strong flow. It’s simply a matter of thinking about which songs pair well with each other. I usually try to keep an even measure of upbeat songs and chill songs to tie everything together. I also like to add currently trending songs with old school jams for versatility. Having these thoughts in mind will elevate your playlist to an impactful level versus putting random songs together without much objective.
4. What’s Your Source? There are so many resources you can use to stream and create playlists. If you specifically want to purchase your own songs, iTunes is a great option. Although this costs money, you can listen to all of your favorite songs without interruption. However, if you don’t want to spend money and don’t mind having ads in the mix then YouTube would be the perfect hub to create your own playlist(s). I have made several of my own playlists on YouTube for parties as well as for leisure and it is an easy process. All you have to do is create/log into your YouTube account and add songs to a previous playlist or a new playlist. If you want to stream other people’s playlist as well as make your own, Spotify and YouTube are both great options. YouTube is the cost-free option, allowing you to search any type of playlist, like 90’s Party Playlist, others have created. Spotify is very convenient for streaming music/playlists, a lot like Pandora, and downloading music is simple. Paying a little extra for this streaming service is definitely worth it. I mentioned Pandora earlier which is another free streaming music service but the difference is that ads are included. All of these are great resources, it just depends on how you want to maximize your musical experience.
5. Have Fun! Beyond all the recommendations I’ve given you, it’s important that you have fun creating/streaming your music. The whole purpose of these playlists is to help you wind down and enjoy yourself during this unprecedented summer. If you keep all of these small tips in mind, then everything will come together smoothly and naturally. Remember these playlists are for your enjoyment and relaxation only, so don’t feel pressured to make the perfect playlist. At the end of the day, you designed this playlist for you and being able to jam to them unapologetically is the most important virtue.